October 27, 2003
Translation: FTAA Secretariat
FTAA – CONSULTATIVE GROUP ON SMALLER ECONOMIESTECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FOR THE DESIGN
AND PERFORMANCE OF SPECIALIZED STUDIES
ON THE OPENING OF THE SERVICES SECTOR IN THE FTAA
1. PROJECT TITLE: Technical assistance for the performance of specialized
studies on the opening of the services sector in the FTAA.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT:
• Identify vulnerable services subsectors to which special and differential
treatment would apply.
• Design and perform specialized studies on the impact of the opening of the
services sector at the national level.
• Strengthen the legal framework of the services sector in the Dominican
• Advice on the design and performance of a study on the opening of the services
4. EXPECTED RESULTS:
• Advice on the design and performance of a study on the legal framework of the
services sector in the Dominican Republic.
• Previously conducted studies of the main economic consequences of the opening
of services sectors, with emphasis on their strengths and their limitations.
• Workshops and studies on other countries’ experiences in the opening of trade
in services in their economies.
• Statistics and other data to facilitate the evaluation of the performance and
opening of the services sector.
• A specialized study that reports on the opportunities and limitations
experienced in the opening of the services sector in different countries of the
Hemisphere, and the benefits implied for Dominican suppliers.
• A specialized study at the subsectorial level that enables the impact on
national suppliers of the opening of the internal services market in the
Dominican Republic to be predicted.
• Detailed breakdown of the vulnerable services subsectors to which special and
differential treatment would apply.
• Documents that demonstrate the importance of the services sector and its
adequate regulation to the economy of the Dominican Republic.