February 4, 2003
Translation: FTAA Secretariat
FTAA – CONSULTATIVE GROUP ON SMALLER ECONOMIES
Panama, January 29-30, 2003
The Nineteenth Meeting of the Consultative Group on Smaller Economies (CGSE) was
held in Panama City, Panama, from 29-30 January 2003. In attendance were
delegates of the following countries: Argentina, Bahamas, Bolivia, Brazil,
Canada, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Jamaica,
Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay, and
The CGSE agreed on an agenda, which is attached hereto.
The CGSE approved the Guidelines for Drafting National Strategies to Strengthen
Trade-Related Capacities of FTAA Countries.
The CGSE received the Vice Chair of the Negotiating Group on Subsidies,
Antidumping and Countervailing Duties and the Chair of the Negotiating Group on
Investment, who presented information on the treatment of differences in levels
of development and size of economies in their respective groups.
The Twentieth Meeting of the CGSE will be held in Puebla, Mexico, during the
month of April 2003.
FTAA - CONSULTATIVE GROUP ON SMALLER ECONOMIES
- Follow-up on the implementation of the Hemispheric Cooperation Program (HCP)
- National strategy to strengthen trade capacities of FTAA countries
- Presentation by the delegation from El Salvador on its experiences in
developing a national strategy.
- Follow-up on the implementation of immediate technical assistance needs
- Updated matrix of project profiles
- Roundtable meetings
- Trade-related technical assistance database
- Follow-up on the treatment of differences in levels of development and size
- Individual reports from negotiating group chairs
- Discussion of document “Consolidation of Proposals on the Treatment of
Differences in Levels of Development and Size of Economies”
- Follow-up on the implementation of Business Facilitation Measures
- Civil Society Contributions
- Other business