July 25, 2003
Translation: FTAA Secretariat
FTAA - NEGOTIATING GROUP ON INVESTMENT
Puebla, Mexico, 21-24 July 2003
1. The Twenty-Fourth Meeting of the Negotiating
Group on Investment (NGIN) was held in Puebla, Mexico, from 21 to 24 July 2003,
with the participation of the following countries: Argentina, Brazil, Canada,
Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana,
Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, and Uruguay.
2. The approved agenda for the discussions is attached hereto as Annex I.
3. Under the first item on the agenda, delegations
held bilateral meetings on their market access offers.
4. Under the second item on the agenda, Report from the Chair on TNC-San
Salvador, the Group discussed the guidelines and instructions issued at the most
recent meeting of the TNC. These mandates are classified as document
5. Under the third item on the agenda, Draft Chapter, the delegations exchanged
opinions and made progress in consolidating the draft text on the following:
scope of application, basic definitions, national treatment, most-favored-nation
treatment, fair and equitable treatment, exceptions, reservations, and dispute
settlement. Several delegations presented new proposals on these issues, which
were incorporated into the draft text of the Chapter on Investment.
6. Under the fourth item on the agenda, the NGIN held a joint meeting with the
NGSV to discuss the issue of commercial presence/investments in services (mode
3), in accordance with the instructions issued by the TNC in document
7. Under the fifth item on the agenda, Discussion on the structure of the NGIN
report to the Fifteenth Meeting of the TNC, it was agreed that the Chair would
circulate, prior to the next meeting, a draft report from the NGIN to the TNC
for the consideration of the delegations.
8. Under the sixth item on the agenda, the Group discussed relations with other
9. The Chair reported that, since the last meeting, one contribution had been
received from civil society.
10. With regard to Other business, the Group discussed its agenda for the next
11. The Group’s Twenty-Fifth Meeting will be held in Puebla, Mexico, from 25 to
29 August 2003.
MONDAY 21 JULY
1. Bilateral meetings on market access offers
TUESDAY 22 JULY
2. Report from the Chair on TNC-San Salvador
3. Draft Chapter
- Scope of application and Basic Definitions
- National treatment
- MFN Treatment
- Fair and equitable treatment
WEDNESDAY 23 JULY
4. Joint Meeting of the Services and Investment Groups on the issue of
commercial presence / investments in services (modality 3)
THURSDAY 24 JULY
Draft Chapter (cont.)
- Exceptions and reservations
- Dispute settlement
FRIDAY 25 JULY
5. Discussion on the structure of the NGIN report to the Fifteenth Meeting of
6. Relations with other FTAA entities
7. Report from the Chair on civil society contributions
8. Other business