July 9, 1999
FTAA - NEGOTIATING GROUP ON
Miami, July 7 - 9, 1999
The fourth meeting of the FTAA Negotiating Group on Dispute Settlement (NGDS) was held in Miami
from 7 to 9 July 1999. A list of the participating countries is attached to this communiqué. Some of the
delegations represented their respective sub-regional groups. The NGDS deliberations followed the items
agenda, also attached.
The fourth NGDS meeting focused mainly on the drafting of the report to the Trade Negotiations
Committee on all the elements of the Work Program agreed upon in Buenos Aires in June 1998. This report
will also include an annotated outline of the status of the progress in the Group's work in establishing a
fair, transparent, and effective mechanism to settle disputes among FTAA countries.
Also at this meeting, the Tripartite Committee (OAS) informed the Group about the status of the Inventory
on dispute settlement systems within the Hemisphere, which is being elaborated.
The NGDS will meet again on 26 and 27 August 1999. Working sessions will be extended until 10:00 p.m.
those two days. If need be, the Group will meet on Saturday, 28 August 1999.
List of Participating Countries
||Trinidad & Tobago
||United States of America
FTAA - NEGOTIATING GROUP ON DISPUTE SETTLEMENT
Miami, July 7-9, 1999
- Approval of the Agenda.
- Comments on the status of the Inventory of Dispute Settlement Mechanisms, Procedures and Legal
- Consideration of the recommendations of the speakers of the Seminar on Arbitration, which will be
included in the report to the Ministers.
- Analysis and discussion of the Draft Annotated Outline (FTAA.ngds/w/15)
- Review of the draft letter in response to the President of the Consultative Group on Smaller Economies.
- Schedule of future meetings
- Press statement